Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, Constantinople FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD
z
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Αναζήτηση με το γράμμα AΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα BΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα CΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα DΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα EΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα FΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα GΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα HΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα IΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα JΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα KΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα LΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα MΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα NΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα OΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα PΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα QΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα RΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα SΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα TΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα UΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα VΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα WΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα XΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα YΑναζήτηση με το γράμμα Z

Theotokos Panachrantos or Lips monastery (Fenari Isa Camii)

Author(s) : Stankovic Nebojsa (3/22/2008)

For citation: Stankovic Nebojsa, "Theotokos Panachrantos or Lips monastery (Fenari Isa Camii)", 2008,
Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, Constantinople
URL: <http://www.ehw.gr/l.aspx?id=10907>

Theotokos Panachrantos or Lips monastery (Fenari Isa Camii) (6/28/2007 v.1) Θεοτόκος Πανάχραντος ή Μονή Λιβός (Φεναρί Ισά Τζαμί) (6/28/2007 v.1) 

Chronological Table

 
June 907: Inauguration of the monastery and the Theotokos Church by Constantine Lips; emperor Leo VI present

917: Constantine Lips dies in combat

late 13th c.: Church of St. John the Baptist built by the Empress Theodora

ca. 1294-1301: Typikon for the monastery drawn up by Theodora

1303: Theodora died as nun Eugenia; she is buried in the south church

early 14th c.: Perambulatory attached to the two churches

1417: The last recorded burial at Lips monastery: burial of Anna, bride of John VIII Palaiologos

ca. 1460-1480: Church of St. John converted into a mescid by Alaeddin Ali Fenari

1633: The building is damaged in a great fire that swept through the city

1636: The mescid is restored as a regular mosque by the Grand Vizier Bayram Paşa; the north church is converted into a tekke for dervishes

1782: The building is severly damaged by another fire

1847-1848: The building is repaired

1917: The structure is left in ruins after yet another fire

1929: Theodore Macridy makes a field research of the monument

1960-1964: Field research and conservation works by the Byzantine Institute and Dumbarton Oaks
 
 
 
 
 

Entry's identity

 
press image to open photo library
 

>>>